I’m a graphic designer, photographer and historian, and enjoy taking on creative problems of various kinds. In the past this has included subjects such as housing, architectural history, urban development, historic building conservation, consultancy, sustainable transport and teaching. I’ve worked on publications, websites, branding, maps, icons, illustrations and presentations. I've also taught at University of Nottingham and Lincoln University. So if you need any help with this sort of thing then just say hello.
Visiting Lecturer, University of Nottingham
- Taught graphic design principles and housing history to the School of Engineering and Architecture. Most notably three students were shortlisted for the MOBIE House national competition in response to their assignments.
- Part time
- 2018 – Present
Senior Lecturer in Graphic Design, University of Lincoln
- Module coordinator and lead for the design strand of the media production course. Responsible for redesigning course content and materials, ensuring coherence throughout all levels of the design strand and appointing guest lecturers such as Ken Garland and Adrian Shaughnessy.
- Full time
- 2015 – 2018
Lecturer in Graphic Design, University of Lincoln
- Teaching graphic design across all levels for a media production course with a cohort of 150-200 students per year. Responsible for delivering workshops, tutorials and marking.
- HPL & part time
- 2011 – 2015
Graphic Designer, Loughborough College
- Visual communication for a higher education college. Designed websites, posters, adverts, booklets, brochures, folders and websites for a variety of different departments within the college.
- Full time & part time
- 2008 – 2011
Graphic Designer & Historian
- See below for examples of work.
- Self employed
- 2005 – Present
PG Cert in Design for Visual Communication
- London College of Communication
- Distinction 90%
HND in Multimedia Design
- South Notts College.
MA in English Local History
- The University of Leicester
BA (Hons) in History
- The University of Leicester.
- 2.1 & W.H. Brock Prize for Best Dissertation 87%
Homes & Places: A History of Nottingham’s Council Housing
- C. Matthews & D. Lucas
- Nottingham City Homes, 2016
Cities of the North
- A. Jones & C. Matthews,
- Five Leaves Publishing, 2016
The Meaning of Concrete for Interwar Nottingham
- C. Matthews
- Journal of Architecture, 2015
Boots: The Modern Factory
- A. R. Hales & C. Matthews,
- C20: Magazine of the Twentieth Century Society, March 2015
Towns in Britain
- A. Jones & C. Matthews,
- Five Leaves Publishing, 2014
Chair of the Twentieth Century Society East Midlands regional group
- The Twentieth Century Society is a registered charity which campaigns to preserve and educate about good Twentieth Century architecture and design. Regional chairs have a responsibility to liaise with the casework officer on the latest conservation news within the region and organise events such as talks and tours.
- Twitter & MailChimp
- 2015 – Present
Leicester Modernism & Leicester Pluralism
Space, Hope & Brutalism with Elain Harwood
A Biography of Ian Nairn with Gilian Darley
Boots the Modern Factory
Derby: Engineering the Twentieth Century
Parks, Council Estates & Essex, with Travis Elborough